This is National Volunteer Week! What better way to begin my TESOL President’s Blog series. It provides us with a wonderful opportunity to recognize the importance of volunteers for our association. Without their willingness to devote many hours of their already-scarce time, we certainly would be unable to do what we do.
Our volunteers’ support and energy help us to inform research, influence policies, and enable best practices around the world. Among many things, our volunteers made it possible for TESOL International Association to
- Organize the Summit of the Future of TESOL Profession
- Connect ELT professionals around the world at our annual convention
- Build professional networks and share in professional development opportunities
- Participate in accreditation of teacher preparation programs through CAEP
- Publish TESOL Quarterly and TESOL Journal
- Advocate for well-informed policies and practices for ELT professionals and English language learners
Volunteers review proposals and manuscripts, help with the convention, lead interest sections and affiliates, serve on professional councils, and freely give their time and expertise in many other ways.
On behalf of the TESOL Board of Directors, TESOL staff, and myself, I would like to express my deep gratitude for all our volunteers. Our engagement allows us to stay focused on promoting excellence in English language teaching around the world.
from TESOL Blog http://blog.tesol.org/thank-you-tesol-volunteers/