In April 2015 the TESOL Board of Directors crafted a vision of an affiliation program. They noted that the program should
- Support a mutually beneficial and collaborative relationship between TESOL International Association and its affiliates
- Advance TESOL’s goals, strategic direction, and growth
- Help the association cultivate knowledge and information about the field and the profession
- Provide for different forms and activities relevant to the needs of different groups (i.e. not a one-size-fits-all model)
- Align with, and advance, the association’s strategic plan
The board then struck an Affiliate Task Force (ATF) charged with proposing options for models and structures that would achieve this vision. The ATF Final Report presents the ideas generated by the task force based on their research of other associations’ models as well as the views of members of TESOL International Association and its affiliates.
The board now invites comments from the membership as a whole on these ideas as well as suggestions for the road ahead.
We are particularly interested in ideas that members would see as both feasible and enhancing their involvement with TESOL International Association. Comments should be posted by 10 June 2016.
With the input from the report and this general discussion, the board will formulate a plan for achieving the vision outlined above. Beginning in November 2016, we will once again ask the interest sections and membership at large for comments on this plan, and before making a final decision, we will have a face-to-face meeting at the TESOL International Convention & English Language Expo in Seattle 2017.
President on behalf of the TESOL Board of Directors